When temperatures drop your heating system will probably be running almost all the time, consuming a large amount of energy and fuel. There are several ways to improve the efficiency of your heating equipment to lessen its impact on the environment and to help you save money. Here are a few tips from Atlanta Air Care to keep your home warm while using less energy.
- Analyze Your Home’s Thermal Envelope: Your home’s “thermal envelope” is a term used to include its floors, doors, walls, windows, roof, and insulation. By weatherstripping and caulking leaks around windows and doors and having additional insulation added, you can keep accumulated heat from escaping.
- Let the Sun Shine In: Let in sunlight for some natural heat by opening your blinds in the day time and then shutting them at night to reduce drafts.
- Adjust the Temperatures:Scaling back the temperature in your home by a couple degrees when you are asleep and when no one is home can make a huge difference in your energy consumption. Invest in a programmable thermostat to do the job for you and it will pay for itself in no time.
- Circulate Air with Ceiling Fans:When ceiling fans thrust air downward they create a cooling effect which we enjoy in warm weather, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be used in the winter. By switching the direction of the blades’ rotation, warm air that rises toward the ceiling will be forced back down into the room.
- Don’t Forget the Fireplace/Chimney:A chimney damper must be opened before a fireplace is used to allow heat and air to escape, but it is often left open after a fire allowing warm air to escape. Make sure the damper is shut securely after each fire and if you don’t use the fireplace, consider installing a chimney balloon.
- Change the Filters:Air filters not only improve indoor air quality, but they also help protect your heater from damages. Regularly replacing the filters will increase your heating system’s efficiency. The frequency with which you need to change the filter varies between homes and systems. Check yours every month or two to establish a replacement routine and then add future dates to your calendar.
- Schedule a Professional Maintenance Appointment:Unless your heating system is brand new, it should be periodically serviced by aprofessional to ensure it continues running at its optimum performance.
Partner with Atlanta Air Care for All Your Home’s Heating Needs
From heatingto coolingto air quality, Atlanta Air Care can handle all of your home’s air needs. We are always running specialsand we also offering financing. Contact ustoday with any questions you may have or to schedule an appointment.