The Atlanta metro area may not be dealt direct blows from hurricanes, but it still receives severe secondary weather that pushes inland, as well as tropical storms and thunderstorms. By preparing your HVAC system for all types of stormy weather you can reduce the likelihood for system damage while keeping your family safe and comfortable.
What you can do right now:
- Install a surge protector:If lightning strikes your home, it can cause severe damage to your HVAC unit, electronics, and appliances, causing a catastrophic amount of damage. Investing in asurge protectorcan protect your unit from becoming overloaded with energy during a lightning strike.
- Secure unit:Secure your outdoor unit by checking to make sure all of the bolts are tightened on the unit. If you are anticipating intense winds, use hurricane straps to hold your system in place.
What you can do before a storm:
- Pre-cool:Due to the high probability of power outages during tropical storms and thunderstorms, you’ll want to cool your home before the storm hits. Set your thermostat to bring your interior temperature a few degrees lower than your regular setting and keep all doors, windows, and blinds closed as much as possible.
- Turn off/unplug unit: As the storm gets closer, turn off the electricity or unplug your unit to prevent damage from lightning strikes’ electrical surges.
- Cover unit: After turning off power to the unit, cover your outdoor HVAC unit with a tarp or plywood to protect it from excessive rainfall and flying debris.
- Secure outdoor belongings:Since flying debris can damage your home and HVAC alike, it is important to secure or bring indoors any outdoor furniture, umbrellas, or other belongings that could be blown around by a strong wind.
What you can do after a storm:
Do not immediately turn your air conditioning back on after the storm has passed. First, you will need to remove the cover and then assess the unit for damage. If the unit looks unharmed, start it up but listen for any unusual noises. If damage is evident, call Atlanta Air Care before restoring power to the unit and restarting it.
Schedule an Inspection with Atlanta Air Care
Any minor problems your system may have before a storm can quickly become a major problem after a storm hits. Prepare your HVAC system for any season by having a member of our professional team perform an inspection on your system. Contact us or request a free estimate today!