Taking the time to winterize your system can prevent you from experiencing an unexpectedly high energy bill this winter, or worse—no heat! Winterizing your HVAC system ensures that you and your family will be comfortable all winter long and that your air conditioner will be ready to go as soon as warm weather rolls around again.
Winterizing Your Air Conditioning Unit
- Cut all power to your outside unit
- Remove brush and debris that may have gathered or grown around or into your outdoor unit. Trim back any plants that have grown too close to the unit.
- Gently wash away any debris that has built up on the fan blades and condensing coils with a hose.
- Check the unit for any cracks, rust, or other damage.
- After letting the unit dry completely, cover the unit with a special cover (not a plastic tarp, since it can trap moisture and condensation, causing rust to develop). Also, leave 12 inches of the coil exposed to keep moisture from getting trapped under the cover and growing mold
Winterizing Your Heat Pump or Furnace
- Switch your heat pump system from cooling to heating mode on your thermostat.
- Seal any gaps in your heating and cooling vents.
- Replace the system’s air filter. This is the easiest and most affordable way to boost the efficiency and longevity of your heating system.
- Clear spaces around vents. By keeping your vents cleared of furniture and debris, heated air can be effectively delivered.
- Clean your registers. Dirt, dust, and allergens build up along openings. This can cause your system to work harder and force allergens into your home’s air.
Call the Professionals at Atlanta Air Care
If you’re unsure of any step in the winterization process, or if you are faced with an issue that needs to be resolved by a professional, call the most trusted HVAC team in Atlanta—Atlanta Air Care! One of our technicians will give your system a thorough inspection to make sure all of its components are running properly. We will examine your furnace’s burner assembly, ignition system, heat exchanger, the gas system on any gas furnaces, the combustion blower, air filters, fan belts, motors, electrical switches, thermostats, and the control box. We will also perform a variety of diagnostic procedures to ensure that all parts are cleaned, drained, and lubricated and make small calibration adjustments to maximize your unit’s energy efficiency. Call Atlanta Air Care today and rest easy knowing your home will stay warm and toasty this winter with a properly functioning heating system and your air conditioner will be ready when the temperatures rise again in a few months.